The museum

CURRENTLY CLOSED TO VISITORS

The museum is a tribute to the marquis Folco Baroncelli-Javon (1869-1943), who became extremely popular in Camargue. Lou Marquès, also director of the poetry newspaper “L’Aïoli”, founded in Avignon, was an ardent defender of the natural, traditional and cultural heritage of Camargue. He lived like a gardian (cowboy) and fought to defend tolerance and generosity. It is also thanks to his efforts that the ecclesiastic authorities recognized the gypsies’ pilgrimage.

The museum shelters the testimonies of the local traditions, some collections dedicated to nature, archaeology and regional folklore; all the pieces were collected in 1942 by a group of local curators.

The museum is located in the former town hall, which was also the former court of justice, built in 1876 by Veran, an architect from Arles, which replaced the first town hall built in 1655. The original marble medallions of France and Navarra, sculpted by Pierre Sibrent in the 17th century, are still visible.